Monday, September 24, 2012

Farewell, Brussels...

After four months in the states, I'm back in Brussels for The Big Move. Handing over the apartment keys and leaving this historic city will be bittersweet. It's been a great 2nd place to call home and as much as I want to be closer to my family in California, it will be sad to leave the many things I've come to love about Brussels. If you've been following my bog, I think you'll agree that I succeeded in my mission to search out the array of colors this great city has to offer. This wasn't easy since gray was often the only color I'd see for days on end. The problem is, between the sights I saw, the museums I visited, the food I devoured, the flowers I admired, the parks I discovered, the winter I endured, the architecture I studied, the bookshelves I perused, the festivals I attended, the people I hosted, the dozen or so other countries I visited, and especially the good friends I made, I'm not ready to say good-bye! So, without further ado, I'll share some of the things that I'll miss most...

The flower boxes

The colorful cafes

The 100+ museums

The delicious cuisine (we love de Valera's Irish Pub)

Karma, my favorite store in Brussels http://www.karmadeco.com/index.cfm

The quirky sculptures

The Royal Greenhouses of Laeken

The scarf bombs (this was taken at my son's school)

The castles!

The pretty flower shops

A rare sight, the sunrise over Brussels (taken on a recent plane ride)
 

9 comments:

  1. this is great, Janice! Glad you're home again, but I can see why it's a little hard to say goodbye to Brussels. Great photos, you really captured a nice taste of what it's like over there. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Abigail! We were so blessed to have had this opportunity (and we'd jump at the chance to live overseas again). See you at Thanksgiving, if not sooner :-)

      Delete
  2. Bittersweet for sure! Best wishes to you as life continues in California. Keep taking pictures! You're terrific at it!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Wendy! I can't believe how quickly the time went by... I'll continue to enjoy Brussels vicariously through you and your blog!

      Delete
  3. Turning a page in your life story I see.
    Will this now become "Colors of California"?
    It's been a great journey and I hope
    that whatever awaits you is as fulfilling.
    :)~
    HUGZ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much and thank you for following this little adventure of mine :-) I think you have a great idea - there certainly are a lot of beautiful colors here in California!

      Delete
  4. Dear Janice,

    I am writing to express Expatica's interest in republishing some of your posts on our webpages, or even your beautiful photography on our social media sites. If you are interested in a possible content partnership, I would love to hear from you at casey.marriott@expatica.com.

    I look forward to your reply!

    Kind regards,
    Casey Marriott
    Associate editor

    News and information for the international community.
    Expatica reaches over 700,000 monthly visitors in 11 countries across the globe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderfully colorful pictures!
    Bottom magnificent, magnificent colors of the sky.
    Greetings

    ReplyDelete