Sunday, January 15, 2012

Feeling Blue

I've lived in Brussels for five months and although I'm getting more comfortable in my surroundings, living abroad isn't all that it's cracked up to be. Sure, it's convenient to walk around the corner to the boulangerie where I'm still barely able to spit out the words to order a baguette but somehow manage to leave with a rainbow of colorful tarts. Yes, it's great to visit friends and extended family in nearby cities and countries (and even better to play tour guide to my visitors). But I still get the blues and miss my two adult kids (terribly), my cat, the English language, telling time by AM/PM (quick, non-military friends back home, what time is 21:35?), and even Costco. Don't ask me why I miss Costco as I could never fit those super-size products in my minuscule refrigerator and freezer! I'm told expat life gets better after six months which is great except I'll be returning home three months later, probably kicking and screaming. Reining me back to what thankfully keeps me busy and enjoying Brussels, my little blog... I've photographed a few blue things around town (from today's bright blue sky to the famous Belgian Smurfs) that have temporarily taken my mind off of going to Costco with my daughter where I can speak English to buy cat food at 4PM!






No comments:

Post a Comment